Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A "PLACE" TO WORSHIP : FREEDOM OF WORSHIP EXODUS 8

Pharaoh could not understand why the Hebrews insisted on worshiping "three days" (Exodus 8:27) away from the Egyptians. The Hebrews had been slaves for many generations and one of their dreams was to be able to worship and sacrifice to God without reserve. True worship is very personal, and often loathed by those that are not Christians. Our God desires to be personally involved in our lives and we all communicate to the Lord directly. At times we express tremendous joy and exuberance, other times we weep in God's presence. When in the presence of God we are free to react without being mocked and ridiculed if we have freedom of worship. Often in worship time, we express tremendous emotions that we normally withhold in public. Worshiping God is between ourselves and God alone. However, when we observe the worship of other believers we are greatly encouraged and often find ourselves joining in.
I recall as a relatively shy young girl the very night I broke through my self-consciousness and began to allow myself to worship freely. I had fought it for a long time, but I realized that I was only hurting myself and aligning myself with those that were not willing to let go and let God "have his way" as the old preachers used to say. I wanted the Lord to know I loved him more than I loved myself. The freedom it brought was wonderful; I was never the same after that service.
Back to the Hebrew slaves dream-when Pharaoh FINALLY let them go, they were so anxious to get away from slavery. And they longed to "have church" without reserve. We Americans generally are able to worship freely, but many places in our world people are not permitted to freely worship. I remember hearing of a foreign country where the persecuted underground church had to meet in a gymnasium where a raucous game was being played on one side of the gym, so that the players could drown out the worshipers on the other side of the gym. Just to be able to praise God without being heard and subsequently arrested!
Next time we are in our place of worship let us praise God even more freely, for the blessed freedom to express our praise to our wonderful Lord.