Saturday, April 3, 2010

BETTER VACATIONS AND RETREATS

While on our recent trip, a dear friend of our family told me that her Mom never seemed to be at peace while visiting her. This was troubling to my friend since she rarely got to see her Mom. She was always nervous about how things were back home. She was tense and ill at ease while on vacation. I related to this woman. I am guilty of this behavior. I remember while vacationing some years ago, calling home for my phone messages. I listened to a message from one of the new Christians in our church. She was very distraught over something. It ruined the rest of my much needed vacation. I prayed and fretted over her condition and it really robbed my joy and peace. I still remember how heavy-hearted I felt for the rest of our trip.

Getting away occasionally from the daily "grind" is vital. Jesus, our great example got away regularly. Even though he was Emmanuel (God with us) he could only take so much. Matthew 14:23 "After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone." I am so glad it is OK to get away. Christians are often taught that it is up to us to keep people from losing out with God. I have learned that we need to put people in God's hands and TRUST. We will always care for others because we are Christ-like, it just comes naturally with followers of Jesus. But to occasionally lay it all down is the right thing to do.

There is a term called co-dependency which as a rookie I picture as two people trying to use one life vest to float. One cannot take off the life vest for fear of the other person drowning. So you are stuck wearing the life vest for your own survival and for the other's survival as well. It gets pretty sickening when the shore seems to never appear. We forget that we can swim on our own but we are so conditioned into helping others that we float along miserably tethered by this burden. God wants us to trust him. On this last trip I seriously tried to not worry and it worked! It was a much better vacation.